Saturday, July 23, 2011

Reflections from LSC 597 Social Media

It is hard to believe this class will come to an end next week. I have learned a great deal about social media. At the beginning of this class I was a bit unease since I did not have any social presence at all. Now, I have a blog, am addicted to facebook, am tweeting, and even created my first flickr presentation. This class has opened up a new world of "technology" for me to use in my daily activities.I think the most important concept I learned or maybe rethought was exactly how social media fits into the realm of library science. I will admit I was a bit unsure how social media played an active role in libraries today. After reading many articles, having discussions on our Sakai site, facebooking and twittering, I can clearly see that social media does play an important and invaluable role in libraries today. This creates a greater presence for the library, it helps libraries communicate with patrons and get information out to the community. That is what a library's first goal and mission should be. Many libraries have websites, facebook pages, blogs, and even twitter important events that are occurring for their patrons. We live in a world of instant gratification and it is the same in the library world.

At first I thought I may not continue using my blog, facebook page or even twitter, but I was WRONG!!! I will continue to use social media to the maximum. As for the future of social media who knows. I think anything is possible.

Thanks everyone, this has been a remarkable experience.

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment