Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Games /Second Life and Libraries

Our topic this week is video games and libraries. The readings were very interesting along with the video of Howard Rheingold. I will admit at the beginning my knowledge of video games is limited, and the academic library I work in does not have any games in their collection. Is that good or bad? After reading the article by Suellen Adams, I can see why video games should become an integral part of most libraries. I am an avid reader and I can also understand why some in the library field would disapprove of this type of technology. Does this type of technology take away from the "traditional literacy skills"? My first impression was yes, but after completing the reading I am inclined to say no. As was pointed out in the reading there is a great deal of learning that goes on in the virtual world. I think it is just a different way to learn. While this is an important fact to grasp many may have trouble understanding this new way to learn. Video games allow the participants to use their imagination to explore and create stories. Isn't that the role of libraries?

While gaming is primarily associated with young adults, it would be beneficial for all library patrons to become familiar and knowledgeable of this new technology. The role of the librarian is changing and the use of video gaming is a new skill that should be promoted to ensure patrons can manage in the digital world. The virtual world allows us to create, connect and socialize and that is a plus for our society on all levels.

1 comment:

  1. You don't have to agree with me, of course. But I am glad you got something from the article. :)

    ReplyDelete