Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Class Division and the Use of Facebook

Our 4Th of July weekend has come and gone and I can not believe this year is more than half over. That being said, I also realized my Social Media Class is also more than half over. I have learned a great deal in this class and I feel this class has helped me forge ahead in this very new and exciting world.

OK, on to this week's subject, class divisions and the use of Facebook.We read two very interesting articles concerning this topic. I think I agree with Dana Boyd when she "argues class divisions in the US have more to do with lifestyle and social stratification than income". Lifestyles do play an important part in our class divisions. She believes that most goodie two shoes are now going to Facebook, and the burnouts use MySpace. I will admit that in my opinion, I do prefer Facebook. I have looked at MySpace, however it does not appeal to me. Does that make me a goodie two shoes? I do not think so, I think I along with many others like the clean look that Facebook brings to the table. I think it is easy to use and thus I feel comfortable putting my info out there, all be it with some privacy concerns.

Another important point made in the article by Hendrix was that Facebook offers many "outreach opportunities" for library patrons of all classes. Facebook is used as a promotional tool for most libraries, and this is one of the easiest ways for libraries to interact with different classes.

Facebook is a very useful tool for most libraries, however in the future Web 2.0 may create a new technology for libraries to move beyond this social media, and this may cause a greater divide among the classes. Librarians must be aware of this fact and become proactive when using social media tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment